If you think you have to pay a fortune to keep cool and comfortable during the summer in Arizona, think again. Unless your current air conditioning system is exceedingly old and past due for replacement, there are lots of ways to keep those energy costs in check even during the hottest months of the year. Some of these tricks are deceptively simple, and most cost little or nothing. You’ll spend more on some, but the payoff in terms of long-term savings is sure to be considerable. Pick up some great tips for spending less to keep cool this summer by reading on below.
Six Simple Ways to Slash Energy Costs This Summer
Through the years, Goettl’s High Desert Mechanical has assisted countless customers with the installation, repair and maintenance of HVAC systems. Seasoned professionals regarding affordable heating and cooling, the team takes pride in educating customers on ways to reduce energy costs. There are all kinds of ways to keep cooling costs in check, but six especially tried-and-true examples include:
- Have a Home Energy Audit Performed – The effectiveness of your HVAC system largely depends on how well insulated your home is from the elements. Even tiny cracks around doors, windows and elsewhere can drastically reduce the effectiveness and efficiency of even the most advanced air conditioning system. The best way to identify such weak spots is by having a home energy audit performed. Your local utility company likely offers this service, which includes performing a blower door test to more easily zero in on trouble areas.
- Make Sure Your Thermostat is Properly Located – Did you know that the location of your thermostat affects your HVAC system’s ability to function optimally? Since thermostats gauge the current nearby temperature and heat or cool a home accordingly, it is crucial not to place one too close to areas prone excessive temperatures like windows and appliances. For best results, place your thermostat in a frequently used room on an interior wall; exterior walls tend to be overly hot or cold, and this can throw off the thermostat’s functioning.
- Get a Programmable Thermostat – Significant amounts of energy are wasted when a home is kept comfortably cool even when no one is there. Remembering to adjust a thermostat before leaving home isn’t easy, however, which is why it pays to switch over to a programmable model. Although there’s no need to invest in a high-end one like the Nest, which can be controlled via smartphone, doing so gives you even better control over when and how your HVAC system kicks on.
- Replace Air Filters Often – Another thing that’s easy to forget is to replace the air filter for the HVAC system. This filter pulls impurities from the air that is pulled through the HVAC system, not only ensuring cleaner indoor air but protecting fragile components of the heating and cooling system at the same time. If not replaced often, filters get so dirty that air conditioning systems must work harder. Buy a case of filters and swap yours out at least once per month during the summer.
- Have Your Ducts Sealed – If you’ve never had the ducts in your home inspected, cleaned or sealed, it’s high time to have those things done. While people often have this work performed to maintain good indoor air quality, the duct sealing portion is a great way to prevent conditioned air from escaping into uninhabited areas of the home. The work is tedious to do yourself, but it’s doable. Otherwise, call in professionals to do it for you.
- Have Your HVAC System Tuned Up Regularly – Considering how crucial the HVAC system is to the comfort of a home, it is incredible that so few people make any effort to keep theirs properly maintained. All too often, people simply wait until problems arise before seeking professional assistance. Just as with car maintenance, however, occasional preemptive, preventive maintenance goes a very long way toward preventing repair and replacement bills. More crucially, it keeps your system operating properly and at peak efficiency, which saves you money.
Be Savvy About Cooling Costs This Summer with Goettl
Put as many of the tips above to work to start realizing considerable savings on your HVAC costs this summer. In the meantime, make sure that you know whom to call if and when your air conditioning system needs service, repairs or even replacement. With more than 90 years in business, Goettl’s High Desert Mechanical is the name to trust for effective HVAC service in central Arizona.
After being founded in Mansfield, Ohio, in 1927, Goettl quickly emerged as a leader in the world of heating and cooling. In 1987, the company relocated to central Arizona, and the rest is history. In addition to offering a complete lineup of HVAC services, including professional installations, repairs and maintenance, Goettl is available to perform duct sealing and cleaning. Their maintenance plans take the guesswork out of keeping air conditioning and heating systems in tip-top shape.
Extended summer hours allow Goettl to be there for customers when their A/C stops working, which is an actual emergency much of the time. A variety of financing options makes it easy and convenient to keep HVAC equipment up and running properly. Goettl technicians undergo ongoing training, and they provide free quotes on all jobs across their service area, which stretches across central Arizona.